Mu Omicron Pi History
Mu Omicron Pi Fraternity was founded by 14 members on May 12th 1926. The 14 members of the General Assembly comprised of executive members: President John H. Conlin, Honorary President Dean Esten P. Stout, Secretary & Treasurer Kenneth C. Owens, and Faculty Advisor Dr. Walter J. Wilson. The Fraternity was born from a group of men who joined together 2 years prior to the founding of Mu Omicron Pi. These men were gathered because they possessed similar tendencies and wanted to excel in the College of Pharmacy as well as in a Drug Store. The goal of Mu Omicron Pi was to be able to uplift the College of Pharmacy with school spirit as well as to excel socially within the Detroit College of Pharmacy.
The Fraternity had much success in the beginning with its bi-weekly luncheons. On November 15, 1926, Mu Omicron Pi elected Francis J Koelzer (President), C Anderson (Secretary & Treasurer), M Quinlin (Publicity Chairman), F Kurczewski (Membership Chair), and F St. Amour (Social Chair). Emphasis was placed that the Fraternity’s purpose was not to create antagonistic relationships among students, but rather, through cooperation of the more active members of the school to sponsor those functions which help to elevate the social rating of a college. On March 10th of 1927, Mu Omicron Pi had its bi-weekly luncheon which was entertained by newest member Ray Parker. Concluding the meeting, Mu Omicron Pi was approached by Mr. Cole of Kappa Psi Fraternity who gave the Mu Omicron Pi a presentation on the benefits of Kappa Psi Fraternity, and Mr. Cole did so with the hopes of Chartering a Kappa Psi Chapter in the Detroit College of Pharmacy.
Mr. Cole approached Dean Stout and J. Verne Crandall, who were Brothers of Mu Omicron Pi at the time, and asked if there was any interest in becoming a Chapter of Kappa Psi. Dean Stout and the rest of the Brothers of Mu Omicron Pi had no interest in joining Kappa Psi unless certain conditions were met. There was a lot of pride amongst the Brothers of Mu Omicron Pi Fraternity and they demanded that Kappa Psi let the Mu Omicron Pi keep their letters of Greek designation and traditions or there would be no charter of Kappa Psi allowed at the Detroit College of Pharmacy.
On May 14th 1927, Kappa Psi Chartered Mu Omicron Pi at the Detroit College of Pharmacy. Leasure K. Darbaker, Grand Historian, conducted the installation ceremony. Later, with the assistance of brothers from Beta Beta Chapter, Beta Lambda Chapter and the Cleveland Graduate Chapter, Brother Darbaker directed the initiation of the new members. Dean Esten Powers Stout, J. Verne Crandall and Joseph L. Dorian of the faculty were included among charter members initiated. On July 1, 1957, the Detroit College of Pharmacy merged with Wayne State University in Detroit and Mu Omicron Pi was transferred to its new institution.
In the fall of 1957, a chapter house was obtained at 815 W. Warren in Detroit. Later the chapter occupied the property at 1120 Forrest Street, the former home of Charles Lindbergh. This property was acquired by the Detroit Graduate Chapter as a chapter house for both the collegiate and graduate members in Detroit. In 1970, the chapter moved into its current house, a three story, brick, sixteen room mansion at 719 Virginia Park.
In 1983 Brother Christopher Roos received the Frank H. Eby Award as the outstanding collegiate member in the fraternity. On May 15, 1987, Mu Omicron Pi celebrated its 60th Anniversary and Detroit Graduate Chapter celebrated its 50th Anniversary at the Hotel Pontchartrain in Detroit. Plaques were presented to each chapter by Grand Vice Regent Dr. Kenneth B. Roberts, the Fraternity's official representative. Others present included: Grand Counselor William R. Smith, Graduate Member-at-Large Paul Hiller, Past Grand Regent Dr. Norman Campbell, the principal speaker, and Dr. Anthony Palmieri, III, Editor of The MASK. A special tribute was paid to Brother John Radtke when the dedication plaque (the Chapter House in Detroit was rededicated in his honor) was formally presented at the banquet. Sadly, Brother Radtke passed away the following day.
Mu Omicron Pi has given the Fraternity one Grand Regent, William R. Smith and an Editor of The MASK, Brother Frank Facione.
The Objectives of Kappa Psi:
- To conduct a fraternal organization for the mutual benefit of its members;
- To develop industry, sobriety, fellowship; and to foster high ideals, scholarship, and pharmaceutical research;
- To support all projects which will advance the profession of pharmacy and to actively participate in them;
- To inspire in its members a deep and lasting pride in their Fraternity and in the profession of pharmacy;
- To render such other services to its members and its profession as may seem feasible and as may be in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws of the Fraternity.
Kappa Psi History
Kappa Psi was founded on May 30, 1879 at the Russel Military Academy in New Haven Conneticut following a football game against Cheshire. The organization, founded by F. Harvey Smith, began as a secret Greek Letter Society. On November 30th of the same year, a second Chapter was formed at yet another football game against Cheshire. These were the only two chapters of Kappa Psi until 1894, when a third Chapter was started at Hillhouse Academy in New Hampshire. Originally, the Fraternity consisted of both Medical Students and Pharmacy Students. This was the case until 1924 when the Fraternity split into two distinct groups after 3 years of deliberation. The Medical student body became what is now known as Theta Kappa Psi, and the Pharmacy students retained the original letters of Kappa Psi. Great leadership and determination led to a strong and well organized fraternity of 30 chapters within two years. Since then, Kappa Psi has been the largest and most successful Pharmaceutical Fraternity in the nation.